Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mixtape Showdown #7

Think you're a smart guy, huh?

Please note that this week's showdown is going to be an exhibition match without voting. Phenedate kicked so much ass that he's being retired for a short spell. Since we don't have a defending champion to take on this week's challenger, I've enlisted some old friends to help out and submit some tracks, making sure you have two new mixes to keep things fresh for when your workplace shuts Pandora off for the afternoon.

NO MORE ADO!

Challenge #7
Theme: Trivia Night



Challenger: Eric Jones

Notes:
A few months ago I had the chance to host trivia night at a Margaritas in Nashua, New Hampshire. Part of a trivia-guy’s responsibility is to play songs while people look up the answers on their smart phones. I went through my music collection, which I have taken great pains to keep as un-Margaritas of Nashua as possible, and hand picked all the songs that I thought would go over well enough. I tried to pick some songs that people would mostly recognize but maybe hadn't heard in a while. Boy did I blow it! They called the next day and asked me not to come back. I therefore present a selection of the songs I played that night for the enjoyment of those who still presume to be smarter than their phones.

Tracklist:
1. When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
2. Oooh - De La Soul
3. Come Together - The Supremes
4. Don't Sweat the Technique - Eric B. & Rakim
5. The Goonies R' Good Enough - Cyndi Lauper
6. Ready or Not - The Delfonics
7. Halftime - Nas
8. Look What You Done for Me - Al Green
9. Passing Me By - The Pharcyde
10. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
11. The High Road - Broken Bells
12. The Windmills of Your Mind - Dusty Springfield
13. There is an End - The Greenhornes

Listen:



AND ALSO:



Mixers: Cat Celebrezze, Phenedate, and King Slender

Tracklist:
1. Hawaii Five-O - The Ventures
2. Mastermind - Deltron 3030
3. I Wish - Skee Lo
4. Jeopardy - Greg Kihn Band
5. Funky Dollar Bill - Funkadelic
6. Dirty Love - Frank Zappa
7. Oh Yeah - Yello
8. Game Show - Ministry
9. A Shot in the Dark - John Zorn
10. Peace Frog - The Doors
11. Ghostwriter - RJD2
12. Mighty Mighty - Earth, Wind, and Fire
13. Be True to Your School - The Beach Boys
14. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
15. Where is My Mind? - The Pixies

Listen:

5 comments:

  1. I think there's a restaurant called Margaritas in every town, everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the link and it looks like Jones was replaced by somebody named "The" Nick Smith. We need to get him to submit a mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a trivia thing in Philly called Quizzo and it is held on the regular in many of the bars in the city. There is one host Johnny Goodtimes who participates in the Philly Mixtape Exchange so he can have new tunes for his numerous quizzos. I have to say I think he would really dig Eric's mix and Eric I think if played this mix in Philly you would have definitely been asked back. The people are Margarita's are lame, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just too much hippity-hop for Nashua.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at When the Levee Breaks! I'd have thought there'd be more classic rock overall. It is NH, after all!

    ReplyDelete