Monday, February 7, 2011

Mixtape Showdown #5

Update!!!! We're calling this one at high noon on Saturday. It was our fiercest showdown yet, and Phenedate reigns supremo A1 once again. It's fair to say both contestants are taking their aspirin and drinking lots of water this afternoon. Thanks to everybody for voting, I loved the turnout. Let's do it again next week.

* * * * *

It's like John Wayne vs Charles Bronson. It's like Egg Shen vs Lo Pan. It's most like Superman vs Drunk Superman. It's Mixtape Showdown #5. Thanks for listening, thanks for voting.

Challenge #5
Theme: There's Gonna Be a Hangover Tomorrow


Challenger: King Slender

Notes: Going for a story with this one. A night of fun gets a little aggressive, turns melancholy, there is some vomiting involved, some reflection, then the promise of a new beginning.




Tracklist:
1. Steve's Last Night in Town (Ben Folds Five)
2. It's Martini Time (Reverend Horton Heat)
3. Tequila (The Champs)
4. Alabama Song (The Doors)
5. Hey Bartender (The Blues Brothers)
6. Knock 'Em Down (Firewater)
7. Hottest Party in Town (My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult)
8. We Be Clubbin' (Ice Cube)
9. Drug Ballad (Eminem)
10. Power Player (Clutch)
11. You're Pretty When I'm Drunk (Bloodhound Gang)
12. Don't Ask Me Why I Drink (Mojo Nixon)
13. Move Bitch (Ludacris)
14. Too Drunk to Fuck (Scissorfight)
15. Do Not Go Quietly Unto Your Grave (Morphine)
16. How Many Cans? (Soul Coughing)
17. The Piano has Been Drinking (Tom Waits)
18. One More Cup of Coffee (White Stripes)
19. Magic Mountain (Lightning Bolt)
20. Covered in Punks Blood (Desert Sessions)
21. Clean it Up - edit (Butthole Surfers)
22. Sunshine (Atmosphere)
23. Saturday Morning (Eels)

Listen:



VERSUS


Champion: Phenedate

Notes: This was a tough one. I definitely had a few drinking songs in my head, but beyond that, I had certain nights in my head. Nights that you could mark on the calendar and say before or aftward, "I WAS SO FUCKING DRUNK THAT I DIDN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE SIZE OF MY SHOES!" Or so drunk that you spit beer in the air like a fountain. Or drunk enough you tell the person next to you just how much of an asshole he really is. So drunk you almost fight a girl. That invincible, screaming, fratboy, I might mosh tonight kind of drunk. I'm proud to say that I've had a one night stand with a few of these scenarios. While you're hoooking up it's all peacful and nice and playful, but when it comes to pay that tax, it's crushing. I think the first bunch get you in the mood. Like pre-gaming it at your buddies house. Maybe you have a bourbon, a scotch, a beer and get stoned. After that it's full tilt intoxication time. I think "The Gates of Steel" is my sobriety being twisted away.

A lot of these songs I've had personal experience with live. Some are just good when they come on, and others give me daydream flashes of me putting down drinks with wild abandon and clearly no regard for what might happen the next day, or even that night. Somewhere in the second half of the mix, tequila rears it's ugly head. He's such an asshole. After that, things get a little messy. The next songs feel drunk to me. With some feelings of invincibility in the middle. "Fix Me Up" might be that wobbly trip to the bathroom, quite possibly to pull the trigger. After that you probably have another drink and continue the action but it's short lived and the lament is near. The night ends with a bittersweet tribute. You won't want to see morning... cause there's gonna be a hangover.

Tracklist:
Ennio Morricone - Sepcialtmente La Fisarmonica
Tom Waits - Singapore
John Lee Hooker - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
RJD2 - 1976
Baboon - Gates Of Steel
Desert Sessions - Screamin' Eagle
Toadies - Mister Love
Torn Main Vain - Breed
Queens Of The Stone Age - Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
Clutch - Electric Worry
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Pop
Molotov - Puto
Klute - Tequila Slammer
Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights
[Error] - Brains Out
Pixies - Head On
Cut Copy - Going Nowhere (SebastiAn remix)
Eagles of Death Metal - Flames Go Higher
KMFDM - Fix Me Up
Dan Auerbach - I Want Some More
DJ DLG - Paramount (Roger Seventy Two Remix)
Battles - Snare Hanger
Firewater - Borracho (Ponzi's Relapse)
Gogol Bordello - Alcohol

Listen:

________________________________________
VOTE:

14 comments:

  1. Not sure who Phenedate is, but you sir, are rippin' it up. You had me at Toadies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan, you had me at Phenedate. Cause that's what I go by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who the hell is Torn Main Vain? I want that version of Breed. It's whack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, they're pretty popular in Cape Ann. Bunch of pricks though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phenedate, I am merely 30 minutes into the challenge mix and I must say this is pretty good..Ben Folds, The Reverend, The Blues Brothers and the Pee Wee Herman song--I also see Morphine and to top it off, you know I'm into quadra-crack! You haven't lost my vote yet, but I'm just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg, I don't need your vote. Mixtape showdown does

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is funny I know somebody who wouldn't vote because of Ben Folds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually love all but 2 songs on that Ben Folds album..smoke and the one used...but tis the thought that counts. Although that mix went a little 'Chet Haze' on me in the middle, it stuck to the theme very literally and I liked that--that mix will keep Phenedate honest here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greg, mine is certainly more about feeling. It could be one of those "ya had to be there" type things. That was the chance I took. I will say that when I previewed it at 9 o'clock in the morning, I almost started pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It made YOU almost started pounding at 9am? WOW-HA. Chet Haze is both Tom Hanks' son and also the newest incarnation of Vanilla Ice--'I shit on the bidet yo/then I start my muthafukkin day yo/they say life like a box of choc-litz/bullshit-for me its just mad hitz/my maids all got mad junk in the trunk/even my equestrian team feelingmy fly fukkin funk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this was really tough. However, I had to go with my gut and my gut was like, Phenedate: fuck yes.

    Although I think there might be a major violation on the 90min time limit. It's hard to live within the confines of the 20th century, isn't it, Phenedate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 25 songs. Total running time 1:19:08. That would fit on a CD. Just so no one thinks I'd bend the rules to try to give people more bang for their buck.

    ReplyDelete