Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mixtape Showdown #3

Update: We must declare this contest closed at 12:45pm EST. We have our first defended title, and isn't that nice? Thanks to each contestant for providing an excellent mixtape. We'll have a new showdown ready tomorrow night.

*****

It's the third week of the Mixtape Showdown, and it's poised to be a doozy. The challenger is strong, the champion is confident, and the theme is solid. As always, I hope you find some time to listen to each mix and discover some cool new music. Please take a moment to vote for your favorite mix so a deserving champion may return next week.

Challenge #3
Theme: The Complications of Postmodern Love



Challenger: Eva Furmanska.

Tracklist:
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
The World's A Mess It's In My Kiss - X
Love - The Cult
Ribbons - Sisters of Mercy
What Love Is - Dead Boys
She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones
Auburn and Ivory -Beach House
Sunday Morning -The Velvet Underground
Necessary Separation - The Gris Gris
Never See Me Again - Vivian Girls
Suffocated Love - Tricky
Searching For Mr Right - Young Marble Giants
Baby Drives Me Crazy - Thin Lizzy
Russian Milk - Volcano the Bear
Beat City - The Raveonettes
My Conscience Tells Me No - Television Personalities
Cheated Hearts - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Heartbeats - The Knife
Black Rice - Women
A Dream Goes On Forever - Todd Rundgren
Soon Be Seeing You Later - The Trans Megetti
Two Girls Kissing - The Swirlies




VERSUS



Champion: Phenedate

Notes: When I heard the theme of the challenger mix I got really excited. I was halfway through my Post-Mortem Love Mix, filled with Rob Zombie songs, when Eva clarified that it was actually Post Modern Love. I was crushed, but I needed to press on.

This was hard for me cause I listen to music more than lyrics and I knew this was going to be a bit more of an introspective, lyrical mix. Most of these are pretty straight-forward if you listen to them. Massive Attack's One Love is about someone who sees the complications of postmodern love for everyone else but her. She believes in One Love. Regular John is about violence and exes. Vera Blue is a song about a guy in love with a girl who deals drugs and might run guns... he knows it's wrong but it feels so very right. I love all these songs. They come directly from my collection and it wasn't easy but a lot of fun. I even nerded out and arranged my playlist in a certain way so music geeks will think I'm being cute. Thanks to Eva for the great challenge and inspiring my nerdiest mix idea ever.

Tracklist:
Polly - Nirvana
Other People - Prick
Sex Is Violent - Jane's Addiction & Diamanda Galas
Tainted Love - Deathline International

Me So Horny - 2 Live Crew
One Love - Massive Attack
Da Ya Think I’m Sexy - Revolting Cocks
Eraser (Polite) - Nine Inch Nails
Regular John - Queens Of The Stoneage
Never For Fun – PIG

Little Girl - Death From Above 1979
One Day - RJD2
Vera Blue (96/69) - Chemlab
Emotion - Daft Punk

Listen:


No comments:

Post a Comment