Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mixtape Showdown #1

Update!! We're calling this contest at 10:02pm, Friday evening. Congratulations to Madore for winning the first challenge! It was a close-as-hell contest, razor thin. Will he come back top defend his title? Stay tuned! We'll have a new contest starting late Sunday.

* * * * *

Thanks for checking out the inaugural showdown, featuring two mixtapes dueling over the theme of music acquired (not released) in 2010. You'll definitely find some interesting new music to listen to. I hope you vote for your favorite mixtape, and I hope the winning mixer returns to defend their title next week. I hope the word "dueling" isn't thought to be too violent but sometimes I watch cowboy movies.

Let's get right into it.

Challenge #1
Theme: Music Acquired in 2010



Mixer: Cat Celebrezze

Note: Challenge to Matt's 2010 recap: I'll see his 21 deep or otherwise and raise him one colossal earful.

Tracklist:
These Boots Are Made For Walking - Crispin Hellion Glover
Zombie - Fela Kuti
Kool Thing - Sonic Youth
With My Own Bare Hands - Ween
Just a Friend - Biz Markie
Are Friends Electric? - Gary Numan
White Meat Featuring - Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz
Atlas - Battles
Welcome to My Room - Vietnam
Coup d'Etat - The Circle Jerks
Woolie Bullie - Pere Ubu
Daddy's Gone - Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse
Head with Wings - Morphine
Ink Mathematics - Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Is It All Over My Face? (Female Version) - Loose Joints
This Is Radio Clash - The Clash
The Rooster - OutKast
Dr. Funkenstein's Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication Medley - Parliament
Ride the Flume - Jello Biafra & NoMeansNo
Seasick - The Jesus Lizard
Good Golly Miss Nancy - Cleve Pozar

Listen:



VERSUS



Title: There's Nothing Common About Sense

Theme: 2010 Wasn't The Easiest Year

Mixer: P.H. Madore

Track listing:
1. Dead Disco - Metric
2. This is Nowhere - The Airborne Toxic Event
3. Old Enough - The Raconteurs
4. Nothing Lasts Forever - Echo & The Bunnymen
5. I Am A Scientist - Guided by Voices
6. No Place Like Home - Charlie Mars
7. Apartment Story - The National
8. A Place to Hide - White Lies
9. Dead American Writers - Tired Pony
10. 40 Dogs - Bob Schneider
11. Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups
12. Pike St. / Park Slope - Harvey Danger
13. Rain - Breaking Benjamin
14. Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand - Primitive Radio Gods
15. Dublin Blues - Guy Clark

Listen:


2 comments:

  1. There were a lot of good things in each of these mixes. I wasn't sure if I was ready to hear Primitive Radio Gods again, I really just didn't know until I heard it. When was that song a hit, 1996? 1997? Silversun Pickups is a poker night favorite, and I didn't know Harvey Danger had albums that weren't the one that big hit was off of, but I'm glad he/they does/do.

    Overall, I give to vote to Celebrezze, whose mix was closer to me on a generational scale, and because I didn't know that Clash song because I'm Clash illiterate, and also because it had Morphine as well as ridiculous hip-hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echo and the Boringmen

    ReplyDelete