Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mixtape Showdown #2

Update!!!!!! We're calling this one at 10:21am EST. The results are in and the winner is definitive. Congratulations to Phenedate for winning his first title, and big ups to Madore for defending. We have our next showdown in the hopper. Check back tomorrow night.

*****

The mixtape showdown returns for its second week. Our first champion, P.H. Madore, is back to defend his title against a canny new challenger, whose chosen theme is revealed below. Check out each of the mixes, find some cool new music to listen to, and vote for your favorite mix at the bottom.

Challenge #2
Theme: Music I wish I was into when I was in high school


Title: Bands I didn't actively listen to until after my birthday in August of 1998.

Challenger:Phenedate

Note:My criteria here was fairly simple. Each song had to come from a band that I didn't listen to when I was a teenager. The song had to be from that time or before. Also, I chose only songs from artitsts whose catalog I'm currently celebrating. I didn't choose individual songs I liked from artists I never fully embraced. That may have been too easy. I probably have a collection of one-offs that I got into over the last decade-plus that otherwise eluded me in my formative years. That would make a pretty sweet mix too. I wanted to highlight artists (and the part of their catalog that was released before I turned 20) who I felt I either overlooked or just plain never knew to listen to cause I had to figure it out all for myself. I didn't have a cool older brother OK!?!?! This also opens me up to the even cooler people who go, "You weren't into so and so...how!?!?" It's like admitting I've never seen the Godfather. Get over it, my older sister liked Bon Jovi and Jodeci.

Tracklist:
Robert Johnson - Stop Breakin' Down Blues
Aphex Twin - Milkman
Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
The Clash - The Guns of Brixton
Talking Heads - Girlfriend is Better
Fugazi - Waiting Room
Primus - Over The Falls
Tom Waits - Big Black Mariah
Soul Coughing - Bus To Beelzebub
Butthole Surfers - Cough Syrup
John Lee Hooker - Burning Hell
Johnny Cash - Rock Island Line
Clutch - Cracker Jack
Daft Punk - Oh Yeah
Kraftwerk - Tour de France
Devo - Freedom of Choice
The Ruts - Babylons Burning
The Police - Next To You
The Pixies - Alex Eiffel
Fatboy Slim - Going Out of My Head
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel

Listen:



VERSUS


Champion: P.H. Madore

Title: Stuff I didn't discover until after HS which came out while I was in HS.

Note: In high school I listened almost exclusively to bands on Epitaph records, like Pennywise and Bad Religion. Unfortunately, I did discover the Black Keys with the release of Rubber Factory in 2003, so I don't get to use them, which would certainly solidify my victory. I never really got into Third Eye Blind until I fell in love with a girl who was into them a year or two after that. I never gave Eve 6 a chance in those days, and I should have, and the same thing for Death Cab. And how the fuck did I miss out on Neutral Milk Hotel? There's been so much good music in the past 15 years or so, so this was hard for me to decide on. But here goes nothing.

Tracklist:
1. King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1 - Neutral Milk Hotel
2. Spread Your Love - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
3. Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect - The Decemberists
4. Gleaming Auction - Snow Patrol
5. Wannabe Gangster - Wheatus
6. Hate Every Beautiful Day - Sugarcult
7. 29 Years - The National
8. A Movie Script Ending - Death Cab for Cutie
9. The Face of the Earth - The Dismemberment Plan
10. Bang - Eve 6
11. Mercy Me - Alkaline Trio
12. Misfits - Third Eye Blind

Listen:


9 comments:

  1. Don't ever ask me to vote against Tom Waits and The Pixies so I can give me vote to Eve6 and Third Eye Blind. Just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW how I feel about the National.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DiGangi, you think the Thermals are great. That says all we need to know about your taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Save the vitriol for Pitchfork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one's taste in music can be verified to have value by arguing for it. I'm certain that's why Matt created this site. That and to hear new things. I think the arguing and denigration is for a different site not as cool as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thesis points:

    1) I guess, Madore, you DON'T know how I feel about The National, even though I told you a story about how I liked them but deleted their catalog from my iPod due to heartbreak.

    1a) The Thermals get a lifetime pass because the singer gave me a blurb to use for on Amazon for the first book I published, then gave me a plus-one for a sold-out show in exchange for two joints.

    2) Saltwater, hasn't there been vitriol over music for as long as there's been music? It might be impossible to get rid of, like impossible in a human-nature-will-never-learn kind of way. Just sayin', most definitely not encouragin'.

    3) Penidate, I just want more eargasms. Every new one is the best one. When I die, I want to leave behind the baddest iPod on the planet.

    ReplyDelete